Thursday, September 3, 2009

Croup SUCKS!

I feel completely helpless.

Kastyn went to the doctor first thing Tuesday morning and was told that she has croup. It's a yucky yucky upper respiratory infection that pretty much takes over her breathing. She woke up Tuesday morning, kinda crying, kinda coughing, and completely unable to catch her breath. At first glance, Nick thought she was having an asthma attack, that's how bad it was.

After two doses of the oral med/steroid that the dr prescribed, she seemed to be doing so much better, even getting great sleep the following night! And then...last night hit. She was kinda grumbly before we went to bed, so I tried to prop her up quite a bit on pillows and make sure she had a drink. Unfortunately, this didn't help. She was up at 1:30 with a major attack again. Nick tried taking her outside for a burst of fresh air, I got her a cold drink...and we finally propped her between us in bed on pillows...I didn't fall asleep cuz I was so worried about her breathing and little constant coughs. At 5 she woke again with an attack, Nick rushed her outside and she ended up throwing up on him a little(oops). Next we tried the hottt steamy shower method...and that seemed to do nothing...by 6:30 we were all pooped, so I resorted to the couch, in an upright position with her on my lap. I think we got a little over an hours worth of sleep.

Kastyn and I have been resting/sleeping off and on all day long today but I don't know if either of us will ever catch up. I called and spoke with the Dr again today...we are going to double dose her on her meds today, but if she has another rough night...back to the Dr we go tomorrow for some more tests to see what we can do before the long weekend hits, and we are stuck in the ER/Hospital!

Please keep us in your thoughts and hope this passes so she can get alll better and I can have my crazy sweet 4 year old back!

4 comments:

Christie said...

Mia had croup twice, no fun. Hope K feels better soon!

LYNDEE said...

She will be in my prayers, poor girl:(

Lori said...

Poor Kastyn! I hope she starts to feel better soon!

Deidra said...

i want to kick who-evers butt who brought their sick kid to her school... poor lil K. :( Hope tonight's a better night!!!